The Muslim Burial Ground (or Moslem Burial Ground), in Woking, was built for the Muslim soldiers that died at the Indian Army Hospital in Brighton, during WWI. Opened in 1915 and completed in 1917, it was the first of its kind in Britain, and is now a Grade II listed site.
According to the Horsell Common Preservation Society, there were 17 burials at the site in 1917. A cadet from the Sandhurst military academy was buried there in 1920, before the War Graves Commission took over the ground’s upkeep in 1921. During World War II, a further eight Muslim soldiers were interred at the site, including three from the Free French forces.
In 1968, after a spate of vandalism, all the burials were moved to the Military section at Brookwood Cemetery and the ground was de-consecrated.
Main image courtesy of English Heritage